Because teeth grinding normally occurs during sleep, many people don’t realize they have a problem. Instead, they may notice headaches, sore jaw, or worn teeth and wonder why. The dentists at Davis Family Dental Care in Bedford, TX have advanced training in the diagnosis and treatment of bruxism (teeth grinding).
Identifying the Signs Teeth Grinding
What are the symptoms of teeth grinding?
- Worn, flat or chipped teeth
- Abraded tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Jaw pain or tightness in the jaw muscles
- Facial pain
- Cuts or sores on the inside cheek
Treatment for Teeth Grinding
When left untreated, bruxism can cause significant damage to teeth and contribute to painful symptoms like headaches and jaw pain. Stress is one of the primary causes for teeth grinding. Lifestyle changes and relaxation techniques may help to reduce or stop your teeth grinding. In many cases, though, professional treatment is needed to correct the source of the problem and repair damage caused teeth grinding.
- Bite Guard - A mouth guard is often the first line of treatment for tooth grinding. Your dentist will fabricate a custom, removable appliance similar to a sports mouth guard that will fit over your teeth and prevent teeth grinding at night.
- Bite Alignment Therapy - In addition to a mouth guard, you may need additional treatments to correct the cause of bruxism. If stress or external factors are contributing to your condition, the dentist may recommend therapies or exercises that can help reduce the occurrence of teeth grinding. Malocclusion, or improper alignment of the teeth, is another cause for teeth grinding. If your teeth are misaligned, our dentists can suggest a number of treatments like invisible braces, dental crowns, or veneers to bring the teeth into harmony.
- Cosmetic Dentistry to Repair Damage - Once the teeth grinding causes have been successfully treated, the dentist will focus on repairing damage caused by teeth grinding. Chronic teeth grinding can leave teeth worn, chipped or broken. The dentist may repair teeth using dental crowns, porcelain veneers or cosmetic bonding.
Schedule a Dentist Appointment to Stop Teeth Grinding
If you or someone you love is suffering from teeth grinding, schedule a consultation with Davis Family Dental Care in Bedford, TX. A simple bite analysis and consultation can reveal whether or not your teeth grinding is caused by TMJ dysfunction and you can be well on your way to much needed relief. Call 817.382.8869 or request an appointment online.